Educational Ministries & Studies Department Certificates
In light of the need for continuing education in the church, higher education, and organizational leadership, the Educational Ministries and Studies Department offers three Certificates – Certificate in Educational Ministries, Certificate in Teaching and Learning (both masters and doctoral levels), and Certificate in Organizational Leadership (both masters and doctoral levels). The Certificates are intended to engage learners who may not be interested in enrolling in a degree program, may wish to add it to their current master’s degree program, or are interested in postgraduate or postdoctoral studies.
The Certificate in Educational Ministries is designed for persons who desire to obtain advanced certification in educational ministries but do not wish to enroll in a degree program. Or for persons who may not possess a baccalaureate degree but have had intensive or extensive life experience with educational practice and are able to demonstrate the ability to do graduate level studies. It is also appropriate for those who wish to explore the
area of educational ministries in addition to their other TIU degree program. Admission to the Certificate does not ensure admission to a Trinity degree program; however, it is designed so that courses completed may apply toward a future TEDS degree.
Applicants to the Certificate in Educational Ministries generally possess the following:
- Intensive or extensive life experience with educational practice in the church, parachurch, other Christian organization, or in the public education arena (generally five-plus years of full-time experience)
- Non-formal or informal preparation for theological study in educational ministries at the graduate level (theological education in a church or parachurch environment)
- Demonstrated academic ability through evaluation and interview by the EM Department (personal interview encompassing demonstrable skills, character, knowledge, and critical thinking)
- Completion of the Certificate Application with accompanying requisite materials
- All 12 hours must be completed through Trinity with a cumulative GPA for course work of at least 2.0,with no course work graded below “C-“ applicable to the Certificate.
- All coursework applicable to the Certificate must be completed within a five-year period.
- When the Certificate is taken in combination with a TIU degree, all 12 hours must be in addition to program degree coursework.
- Evidence of Christian life and character and recommendation by the faculty.
- Completion of Certificate requirements required by the Catalog curricula in effect at the time of initial enrollment.
- Settlement of all financial obligations to Trinity and any other ACTS seminaries with Student Financial Services.
Advanced Standing in the Certificate Programs
Advanced Standing of up to three semester hours may be granted in an Educational Ministries and Studies Department Certificates upon demonstration of competencies related to the Certificate of enrollment. Petition for assessment of advanced standing must be made after the first class, and before the seventh credit hour of enrollment. See the EM Department for details.
Certificate in Educational Ministries Requirements
Courses may be completed on the Bannockburn campus, through TEDS online courses, and at approved extension sites. Not all courses are available in all modes or every semester. The following requirements must be completed:
|Required: Genrally Completed at the beginning of enrollment||3-4|
|EM 5100||Educational Ministries and Leadership||3-4|
|or EM 5200|
& EM 5210
| Educational Ministries|
and Christian Leadership and Administration
|Additional Requirements 1||8-9|
|Suggested curricular courses include but are not limited to:|
|Christian Formation & Journey|
|Youth and Emerging Adults in Congregations|
|Adults in Congregations|
|Intergenerational Ministry in the Church|
|Children in Congregations|
|Nurturing Families in the Church|
|Program Planning Dynamics in the Local Church|
|Ministry with Aging Adults|
|Other departmental courses offered regularly may apply.|
Select additional semester hours of courses prefixed EM or ES available at the master’s level (8999 or below). Courses from other departments or ES 8000 Seminar: Current Issues in Educational Ministries may be applied when such substitutions are approved in advance by the EM Department.