Up to ten hours can double-count if the right courses are selected. In summary: only 26 hours beyond the MA-Leadership degree are required in order to earn the MA-Bioethics degree as well.
Students in either the MA Bioethics (MA/BE) or the MA Leadership (MA/L) degree program can add the other degree without substantially lengthening their stay at Trinity. There is a rapidly growing need in society for leadership to address bioethical challenges in the lives of individuals, families, communities, and the larger world. Such leaders ideally need more training in leadership (for example, non-profit, organizational, or international leadership) than a bioethics degree alone can provide, and they need more training in bioethics than a leadership degree can provide. Moreover, there is a societal movement toward requiring a credential, such as a bioethics Master’s degree, for individuals involved in bioethical decision-making in many arenas where people with leadership training work. In light of Trinity’s global leadership role in bioethics, the ability of students to add the MA/BE degree to their MA/L degree is an attractive option for Trinity students.
- Only 26 hours of Master’s-level coursework in bioethics beyond the MA/L degree are required.
- Students can participate in the May Commencement for both degrees at the end of their final academic year (assuming no more than 6 non-capstone hours remain to be completed in the summer that follows).
- Students complete a single 4-hour capstone course on a topic in the realm of “Leadership and Bioethics,” which counts as 4 hours in each of the two degree programs. If a bioethics professor oversees the course it should be registered as a bioethics capstone, and if a leadership professor oversees the course it should be registered as a leadership capstone.
- In addition to the shared capstone, students can double-count 6 other hours of courses taken in the MA/BE program as elective hours in their MA/L program.
- If 6 such hours are not completed in the MA/L degree program, then the missing hours must be added to the 26 hours needed to complete the MA/BE degree. To graduate, students must complete a minimum of 36 hours in bioethics program coursework inclusive of any overlap hours with the MA/L.
- The following courses must be taken either within the MA/L degree program or as part of the additional 26 hours for the MA/BE degree program:
Course List Code Title Hours BE 5000 Introduction to Bioethics: Matters of Life and Dignity 3 or BE 5100 Intensive Bioethics Institute BE 5002 Foundations for Cultural Engagement in Bioethics 3 BE 5200 Research Ethics 2 BE 5299 The Clinical Context 1 BE 5300 Clinical Issues in Bioethics 2 BE 5499 The Public Policy Context 1 BE 5500 Bioethics and Public Policy 2 BE 6200 Ethical Theory 3 BE 6500 Advanced Bioethics Institute 3 BE 7600 Theological Bioethics and Contemporary Alternatives 3 ID 5000 Biblical Theology and Interpretation 3 Total Hours 26
MODEL CURRICULAR PLAN
The actual curricular plan will vary with individuals. In this model curricular plan, students would take the following courses (in addition to the MA/L courses including ID 5000, BE 5002, and the capstone):
|Any fall of summer before the final year of MA/L studies:|
|BE 5000||Introduction to Bioethics: Matters of Life and Dignity||3|
|or BE 5100||Intensive Bioethics Institute|
|Any fall of MA/L studies after completing BE 5000 or BE 5100:|
|BE 5002||Foundations for Cultural Engagement in Bioethics||3|
|BE 5200||Research Ethics||2|
|BE 5499||The Public Policy Context||1|
|BE 5500||Bioethics and Public Policy||2|
|ID 5000||Biblical Theology and Interpretation||3|
|Any spring of MA/L studies after completing BE 5000 or BE 5100:|
|BE 5299||The Clinical Context||1|
|BE 5300||Clinical Issues in Bioethics||2|
|BE 6200||Ethical Theory||3|
|BE 7600||Theological Bioethics and Contemporary Alternatives||3-4|
|Any fall, spring, or summer of MA/L studies after completing BE 5000 or BE 5100:|
|Bioethics-related capstone in the MA/L degree program plus bioethics elective hours||10|
|Near the end of MA/BE studies:|
|BE 6500||Advanced Bioethics Institute||3|
|Of the 30 total bioethics hours here, 10 may also count toward the MA/L degree.|