Certificate in Theological Studies
Purposes of the Certificate
The Certificate in Theological Studies is intended for people involved in lay and parachurch ministry and leadership who feel the need to strengthen their skills and knowledge base in a specific area of study or across the theological curriculum. Students who pursue, and have completed the Certificate in Theological Studies may wish to continue their studies and apply to the MA (Theological Studies) program. Any course work completed under the Certificate in Theological Studies is applicable to the MA/TS program as well.
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
Applicants to the Certificate in Theological Studies must fulfill the following requirements:
Applicants should possess a bachelor’s degree (or the educational equivalent) from a recognized, accredited institution.
Undergraduate grade point average of 2.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale. GRE or MAT scores may be required for those whose GPA falls below 2.0
Admission to the Certificate in Theological Studies does not automatically imply admission to any Trinity degree program.
The following requirements must be met to complete the Certificate in Theological Studies:
- Complete a minimum of 21 graduate semester hours through Trinity with a cumulative GPA for program coursework of at least 2.0, with no course work graded below a “C-” applicable to the Certificate.
- All coursework applicable to the Certificate must be completed within a ten-year period.
- Application to graduate must be made by July 15 of the year of intended graduation for December graduation or by December 15 preceding the intended graduation semester for May or August graduation through the filing of the Application for Graduation form in the Records Office. This initiates the processes related to graduation and serves to advise you of the requirements necessary for program completion.
- Completion of all requirements required by the Catalog curriculum in effect at the time of initial enrollment
- Settlement of all financial obligations to Trinity and any other ACTS seminaries with Student Financial Services.
The Certificate in Theological Studies maybe completed through coursework taken at our Bannockburn campus, entirely online, and through our extension sites. This added flexibility is intended to assist people involved in various ministries with their theological training in the context of their busy lives.
There are no specifically required courses to complete the Certificate.
However, Certificate students are required to fulfil the following minimal requirements:
Theological Studies Courses
Total hours required 21 semester hours