MA/NT Concentration Purpose
The Master of Arts concentration in New Testament (MA/NT) provides specialized study in the New Testament. The MA/NT is academic rather than professional in focus, preparing participants in knowledge and practice for teaching or researching in Christian secondary schools, or higher education where a doctorate may not be needed; or as an intermediate step toward doctoral study in a related area.
MA/NT Concentration Objectives and Student Learning Outcomes
- Student will acquire a reasonable level of competency in reading, translating, and exegeting the Greek text of the New Testament (as well as the Greek and Hebrew Old Testament where called for).
- Student will be able to conduct research in the field of New Testament (and cognate) Studies and present research results in both oral and written form.
- Student will demonstrate in‑depth knowledge and understanding of major scholars, publications, methodologies, and dominant ideas of contemporary biblical scholarship.
- Student will be able to grasp, articulate, and appropriate Scripture's gospel message understood within the framework of God's eternal Triune being and His redemptive‑historical work.
- Student will be able to appropriate such gospel message in his or her own ministry and personal life.
- 6 semester hours of Bible including Old and New Testament surveys; or TEDS OT 5000 and NT 5000
- an undergraduate major in Bible or its equivalent that includes a minimum of 30 hours in Bible/Greek/theology (12 or more in Bible; beginning languages are not considered Bible courses)
- proficiency in biblical Greek at a level equivalent to completion of TEDS NT 4031 (two years of undergraduate Greek; testing for placement)
|Bible and Theology Core|
|ID 5000||Biblical Theology and Interpretation||3|
& ST 5202
|Theology I: The God of the Gospel|
and Theology II: The Gospel of God
|NT 5251||Greek Exegesis I||2|
|NT 5252||Greek Exegesis II||2|
|NT 8911||New Testament Research||2|
|or ID 7900||Theological Research Methods|
|Elective Studies in New Testament 1||18-20|
|The following courses in other departments may be completed in the Concentration Core 2|
|Select one option from the following:||0|
|Field Education (2 semesters)|
|Field Education (1 semester)|
|Formation Group (2 semesters)|
|NT 7477||MA Major Comprehensive Exam||1|
|MA Major Research Paper|
and MA Major Research Paper
One course may be an OT course